Friday, November 7, 2008

Halloween and Missing Gavin

This year we dressed up as a family. Gavin is an Angel and has no choice what he gets to be so we dressed to match him. Jaron was very gracious and wore his wings for about 2 minutes. Longer then I expected and I have 1 picture, all and all that went well. We were a family of Angels.

That being said the rest of this will be ugly, I miss him so much. Jaron and I made pumpkins for Gavin and took them up to his Grave. When I got there to drop them off, there was a "new" temporary grave marker. Every other time I've been there it's just a plot of Grass. This was the first time his name was associated with this plot of grass. And I cried. I wanted to take it down. My little boys name shouldn't be on a flimsy piece of metal staked in the ground. It was a hard thing to see.

Today has been a hard day. I am missing that sweet little face so much today. I've been really nauseous with this baby and thrown up a few times, and I miss not having Gavin here to experience it with me. I know that he would have run into the bathroom with me each time and watched me throw up. I would've tried to keep him from playing in the toilet while I puked. And then he would have looked at me with that little Gavin grin of his and smiled at me, and then he would've opened his mouth and pretend to puke in the toilet too, with sound affects and all. Each time he would've looked at me to show me how funny he could be, and he would've done it over and over again until I stopped laughing. He was quite the comedian.

It's been daunting, thinking about the rest of my life. A mom on the "Angel Blog" posted, it's been 43 years since she buried her little boy. And she said that when she thinks about that day, it seems like yesturday and she's right back there again. She said that she was greatful for what happened. That she has felt him ever so near, always in her life, leading and guiding them along. I hope that one day I can look back and say that I am greatful for what happened, but right now it seems hard. Thinking about all the happy things in life. Thinking that at all the moments when there should be nothing but joy, I will have a twinge of sadness. Missionary Farewells, weddings, baby births, etc. I will be 98% happy and 2 % sad because I will know that there is a little boy missing from this picture. I am 25 years old!!!!! I shouldn't be dealing with this much grief!!!!!! I'm too young!!!!!!! I guess the one good thing, is that I have no fear of death anymore. Before it scared me. But now I believe that when the Lord chooses to take me home, I would welcome it with open arms. I would see my little boy again. I am grateful for the knowledge that we have, that we know there is life after this one. This is not the end. Now I have to be patient, and search for the Joy in the Journey.

12 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

I admire your positive attitude and eternal perspective. That is so cute that you guys dressed up as angels! I'm sure that made Gavin smile! Hang in there. I pray for you guys every day.

Sarah said...

What a cute picture and idea of what to be for Halloween! You are so cute and creative. I'm sorry you have been sick that stinks. I think about you a lot & Gavin and how hard it must be. I love that you are trying to find joy in the journey your words & spirit strengthen others, like me. Hugs from Payson, Sarah

Amber said...

My heart aches for you. I wish you didn't haveto be 98% happy. Just know that Gavin loves you very much as well as our Savior, and he knows your heartache. We love you guys and pray often for you. I'm so glad this pregnancy is going well for you. When I had my gastric bypass Sabrina would come in and rub my back when I threw up. Not that I wanted her to, but it was the thought that counted, and it was sweet so I let her do it. Children are such little angels with such big hearts. I know Gavin is smiling right there with you every step of the way. Call me if you ever need to talk.

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

Michelle, I love your posts and hearing you talk about sweet gavin. It makes me wish I would have walked next door and got to know him.
Eric and I want to have your Jaron over soon, so let's talk soon. :)

Saratoga Six said...

Michelle, I wish I knew what to say. You have taught me so much. My heart aches for you. Holidays must be the hardest. I must say you and Jaron are a darling pair in your costumes. I pray for you everyday. Hoping the nausea can go away soon for you too. Not fun!

Tiffany said...

I'm right there with you! Missing our little boys. I know what you mean about welcoming death with open arms. When I hear about someone who died or who will die (not a child), I think..."lucky!". Morbid as that may sound. I can't wait until that day, so I can hold my little Jack again.

Gavin is soooo beautiful! I love reading your posts because you always uplift me. I love that you have a positive outlook on things. Thank you for being so amazing!

jessi said...

I don't know what to say. I am sorry I don't know what you are going through, but My heart aches for you. If you ever need to just talk and need some listening ears, I LOVE Hearing your testimony and thoughts about everything, and listening about your sweet Gavin. I think about you and Gavin everyday. I am always just a phone call away if you ever just need to vent or someone to tell things to. Love you guys! Jessi

Ralae said...

I have no idea what you must be going through. You're such an example to me of optimism in the toughest of times. We all miss Gavin over here in Arizona. We will always remember the joy he found in life and his fun personality. If I ever need a smile or laugh, I think of the day we were watching So You Think You Can Dance and Gavin was doing the cha cha. That was soooo stinkin' cute! Hang in there. We're all praying for you both. I'm here if you need me. Love you!

Melissa said...

I myself have no idea the grief you must feel, but I found this and really thought that it might help a little. I apologize if you've read or heard it before.
President Joseph F. Smith, the sixth president of the church reported: "Joseph Smith taught the doctrine that the infant child that was laid away in death would come up in the resurrection as a child; and, pointing to the mother of a lifeless child, he said to her:'YOU WILL have the joy, the pleasure and satisfaction of nurturing this child, after its resurrection, until it reaches the full stature of its spirit.'..."
Though it may feel like only 98% joy you will feel. Christ doesn't work that way. I believe in the end, you will feel 200% joy.

teachings of the presidents of the church, joseph smith pgs 176-178. the whole chapters great!

Meredith said...

Loss is so difficult to describe in words and yet expressing it can be so important to work through it. I love to read your posts because you remind me that there is still hope in grief and that you can still find joy and a positive attitude in the grieving process. Keep talking- we are listening.
By the way- you were so right. I will never doubt your wisdom! :)

Tiera said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They strengthen all of us!

Michelle Arnett said...

We are too young to be going through this! I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet sweet thing to dress up. . a family of angels. I loved that. I hope you can keep breathing. Time does soften the blow, but you will never ever forget. But time truly does heal. Loves,
James' Momma
Michelle
xoxox