Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Irony of it All

So yesterday was a bad day, until about 6 pm. It's open enrollment for insurance at Jaron's work. We previously signed up for the insurance in September and there was a portion that said "Dependent Flex Care" well we took out 500 dollars to go into the flex spending account. I called Costco yesterday to find out how to use it. The very nice woman on the phone then proceeded to explain to me that "Dependent Flex Care" is for Daycare. So we've been paying for Daycare. I told her that I though it was flex spending and we don't need day care. She said, "Sorry but it already in there." She was surprised by my reaction when I burst into tears and start bumbling on about how our son passed away in August and we really have no use for this whatsoever, and I really thought it was the Flex Spending. Well this very nice woman said "I am so sorry for your loss. Print out this blah blah blah paper fill it out and fax it to my attention. I'll see what I can do for you. You've probably lost what has been put in, but I'll try and work something out." So I scurried around last night trying to get it faxed over before it closed. I finally got home around 6 pm last night and sat down with my sister. I started recounting my sad tale, and she burst into hysterical laughing. "Jessica, why are you laughing?" I said. Jessica responded with "Michelle, you've got to see the Irony in this. Your paying for daycare that you can't even use!!! Gavin isn't even here to use it if you wanted. And you started paying for it AFTER he went home!!!!" Well after she said it like that I was laughing just as hard with her. Of ALL the things I could have accidentally signed up for, it had to be DAYCARE?!?!?!? Now folks that is shamefully funny. So go on and laugh and don't feel bad, we are still chuckling too. Sometimes the only way through a tough situation is to laugh. Yes we lost 500 dollars. Yes, we miss our little Boy. But how the heck did it all work out like that?? Sometimes I think that Heavenly Father has a sense of Humor, he probably didn't have a hand in this, but I think he's chuckling too. And the even more Ironic thing, is that Gavin never spent a moment in a Daycare when he was alive. Yet somehow I needed it when he passed on. Hmmmmmm. Weird Day.

8 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

I am so glad you have your sister living with you, it seems she really helps you find humor in all those things that are... well, less than humorous. HOw wonderful to have her.
We need to have another dessert night followed by Enchanted in the theatre... you guys can sing and I will try to not get a cavity for the sugary sweetness of Giselle. :)

Meredith said...

Oh Michelle! Life is so crazy. One little event can be both devestating and funny at the same time....ironic is right. Oh well, sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying. Or maybe do a little bit of both. :)

Anonymous said...

oh that is the funnist thing. Im sure glad you seen the laughter of it. It kinda reminds me of Brother Wirthlins talk... Come What May and Love It

Amber said...

Thats cute. Those things are so darn hard to understand anyway. It's like they love to double talk you. I hope that the woman on the other end will be able to help you retrieve some of your loss. Keep your faith, and all will work out. It always does. We love you guys and miss you.

Sarah said...

Your just paying the angels to watch your sweet little boy. Why not? He needs the best care.

Shelley Family said...

I love your attitude Michelle! I never knew such a thing existed... a flex spending day care account. I guess you can just be grateful that you found out now and not a few more months down the road!

bugnose7 said...

Remember Elder Wirthlin's conference talk called Come what may and love it. He said "the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life." One of his suggestions was to learn to laugh. Why to prove Elder Wirthlin right.

Saratoga Six said...

I agree, Come what may and love it. :)