
1 year ago. Amazing what can happen in a year. He was so funny. We had rice krispie treats because he was allergic to milk and eggs. He was kind of like "what the heck are you all doing?" about the whole affair. The icing on the rice krispies was his first introduction to processed sugar. (we never let him have sugar because the experts said not till they were two. I was so very protective of him) "Surprisingly" he loved it. Gavin, true to form, found the most interest in the grass and sticks that were scattered about the park. Even after the sugar and presents.
He started to figure out the present thing. If he ripped everything apart there would be something inside. Maybe I should've just wrapped up a bunch of sticks and rocks. Silly Guy.
Don't ask me why, but I just love his teeth. The toothy grins are my favorite pictures. So I love these. The best present of all. A stick.
Which brings us to yesterday. Gavin's 2nd Birthday. I wish he could've been there, in person. The days leading up to his birthday were awful. I cried so much. Just thinking about that day made me sick with hurt. I just miss him so much. You would think there had to be some kind of limit on that kind of missing. But there is not. Gratefully, his actual birthday was nice. I think the Lord sent a few extra angels to be with us that day. Jaron and I went up to his grave early in the day so I could sit and cry and get it all out before his birthday party started. The bunny I'm holding was Gavin's dancing partner. And my sister-in-law Ralae sent up a dog that Gavin's cousin Joshua picked out for him. And what parents would we be without incorporating Green into the day. This was the only time that night that I had to work so hard to hold back the tears. My eyes were full to capacity, but they didn't spill over. I didn't want them to. My main goal was to make Gavin's Birthday fun for his cousins, why? Because I want them to WANT to remember Gavin. I know if I am always crying about him they won't want to bring him up because it just makes Michelle sad. So I worked very hard to make it fun. And it was.
The day started with all of Gavin's favorite foods. No choices. Hot dogs only. We had a fruit salad with Watermelon and Blueberries being the most important items in there, and Green rice krispie treats. We had the cousins that were here blow out Gavin's Candle on his behalf. Then the kids all opened their presents from Gavin. Hopefully, they loved it. My hope is that every year they'll think "Yes, Gavin's birthday is coming!! Whoa!" We watched some video of Gavin being Gavin, laughing at all the funny things he did. Then we went up to the cemetery and let go balloons for him. That was the hardest part. I just wish this wasn't our reality. But it is, and it's hard and I have to keep convincing myself of it. It's still so easy to believe that none of this can be true, it's all in my head. So we sent the balloons off, and then they boys went running through the cemetery having a great time. That's good. I'm glad that it can be fun for them. Hopefully the rest of Gavin's sibling will find the same fun there.
Overall it was a good day, with family. I wish that everyone could have been there. And hopefully there will be more pictures to follow of the celebrations that they had in Gavin's behalf. I am touched when I look at the picture above and think about all the people that loved that little boy. And so many of them not present in the picture. I love him so much. Words fail trying to express such tender feelings for that celestial little being. How grateful we are to have him as part of our Eternal Family. Thank you to all who sent prayers on our behalf and the sweet gestures that were made. Thank you.Happy 2nd Birthday Gavin!!! One more birthday closer to holding you again! We love you.
Mama and Dad
18 comments:
I love this post. What a beautiful celebration you had for Gavin. The pictures are so pretty and the things you did are so poetic. You looked so pretty yesterday, I love you in your green down to the toenails. I am sure gavin felt so loved yesterday. Look at all those people who love to remember him.
It's weird to think that Gavin and Bridget are so close in age. I am glad you had so much family who love you and love Gavin and want to be a part of his celebration. Birthdays are very hard for me, since no one comes, calls, sends cards, etc. (Even when we've invited.) It is hard enough not to have your little one here. I like that you did all the green and the rice krispie treats. BTW, your belly is looking so cute. I think JJ will have a special feeling at the cemetery and on Gavin's special occasions. Our kids take kites down, or frisbees or bubbles. I'm not a big crier, so I don't have that trouble with them associating things like that. Only rarely will someone say they don't want to go. It's all weird and strange to think of planning family events around the cemetery for the rest of your life, isn't it? I'm still adjusting. Dominic died more than 7.5 years ago! Yeah, weird.
Happy Birthday sweet Gavin! Let me know if you need anything Michelle, maybe we could go get some pedicures... my treat!
What a wonderful idea and tribute to a special young man. We are so blessed to have celestial beings as a part of our family tree. It really makes eternity worth working for. I sure want to be there.
I love your perspective about Gavin's birthday. Next year I'll have to plan ahead and get stuff to make green rice crispy treats. This year we had to have cookies. Joshua loves his Gavin toy. I took a video of him with it. He says "thank you, Gavin" on it, but it sounds like, "thank you, froggy". I don't know why. I'll put it on my post soon... hopefully tomorrow (if Joshua has a good nap). Oh, and thanks for the sweet thank you card.
Oh my heart just aches for you!! What an especially rough time that must have been for you!! I'm sure glad you had loved ones there to be with you.
I added the video to my blog.
Michelle, You are an inspiration to me. Your little Gavin is such a sweet little man. You are a doll yourself. What a fun way to celebrate his life! Love, Nicole - Mia's mom ^i^
Happy birthday Gavin. You guys are amazing- always looking for the good in all situations. Instead of sitting around and feeling depressed (which would be only natural to do) you throw him a party and celebrate and spread love. Thanks for your post- it was very touching. I was thinking about your little one on the way the other day and how his big brother must be preparing him to come to earth. How special that all of your children will know Gavin.
Happy Birthday Gavin! We love you!
Happy Birthday, Gavin!!! I hope our Gavins are celebrating together!
~Bethany (Gavin's mom)
from the Angel Baby Blog
Happy Birthday Gavin! You threw a great party to remember him Michelle. Birthdays are sooo hard. We miss you and hope all is going well with your pregnancy.
Happy Birthday to Gavin!! I'm glad you guys were able to celebrate, looks like it was a good day!!
Happy Birthday Gavin! What a great way to honor and remember him. I thought about you alot this weekend, and how you must be feeling. I bet Gavin was really happy about what you did for him for his birthday. I feel honored to know him through you. You are such a special woman. Thanks for sharing these special moments and thoughts with us.
Happy Birthday to Gavin! What special and amazing parents you are. The Lord loves you. I am inspired by you. Thank you so much for sharing that special day with us.
Michelle - My boys had a good time at the party. I asked Taylor how he liked it and he said it was good and just a little bit sad. Of course it helped that they each left with gum! Happy Birthday Gavin. We miss you!
It looks like a good time. I am so proud of you! You are so amazing Michelle. I am glad it ending up being a positive day. It's always the days leading up to that seem to be ruthless. I'm sure he was there with you and maybe that's why it was tolerable. Love you
~Michelle
I know Gavin was part of that big celebration. He would never miss all of that fun with his family. My heart aches for you.
Post a Comment