Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Headstone and The Quilt


Gavin's 9 month Picture.

Jaron and I went up to visit Gavin's Grave on Sunday and this was here. I bawled. Jaron kept saying "this is so Bizarre". Bizarre that we were actually sitting down in a cemetery looking at the last memorial of our precious son. It's beautiful, but something that I wish I never had to do. It's beautiful and terribly ugly all at the same time. Ugly because it's even there. Ugly because of what it represents. But beautiful, if we must have it.

I really like the rocks and sticks they put in the corner. Now we don't have to be so vigilant about always putting them there. I think the cemetery thinks that the wind keeps blowing these rocks and sticks over to him, because they keep removing them. You would think that when the found them every time they went over there that it couldn't be coincidence. Now he has some permanently there. The line at the top has such significance to me. My sister-in-law Ralae wrote a poem for us on her drive down from AZ. This was the title "I wait at Heaven's Gates". It is Gavin speaking to us. I'll post some time. It is beautiful. My little Man is so handsome.

Anyone recognize the center of this quilt? If you need help go look under the video "ODE to Gavin's Cuteness" (I think?) Figured it out yet? It's Gavin's shirt. The one that he is wearing in the video that he dances.
We want each of Gavin's siblings to have a little bit of him. So my plan is to make a quilt for each one that follows with Gavin's shirt. This is JJ's quilt. It has different textures and some Green in there. The square pattern looking thing reminded me of "outside" so that is why that is there. The backing of the quilt is just about the softest thing that you can imagine. And then some trucks for good measure. (I have a picture of him playing with his cousins in the sandbox. He was just figuring the truck stuff out.) So hopefully JJ will know his brother even a tiny bit. Hopefully we will be able to help him know that he has a brother that loves him so much, and is watching over him. That is probably one of the most important things to me. That JJ knows he has a brother. He's not the oldest, there was one who came before him. And JJ is loved by him, too.
TADAAAAA!

20 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

I love the blanket Michelle, it is so pretty. Can we display it at your shower???? I will make sure it is out of the way of any messes. I am sorry you have to experience what you have, you are always in my thoughts.

Andrea said...

Gavin's headstone turned out so nice. I'm sure it just seems so unreal like it does for me and we haven't even gotten Wyatt's yet. Just going to the cemetery is unreal.
I love the quilt. That is soooo neat! I'm sure JJ will cherish that all his life. You are such a wonderful mother!

Kristy E.B. said...

I love how there is a picture of Christ holding Gavin on the headstone. That is such an awesome idea to make a quilt for Gavin's siblings out of his shirts!! How fun! And Gavin's 9 month picture is the cutest thing ever!!! Such an adorable picture!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

The quilt is beautiful. So is the headstone...though tragically beautiful. I'm so sorry.

Tiera said...

The quilt is beautiful and it is the softest thing I have ever felt!

bugnose7 said...

I love the quilt it is perfect. I don't think you will have to worry about JJ remembering Gavin. You will always keep his memory alive. The beautiful head stone will become a monument to a special brother that is waiting.

The Holland Family said...

What a great idea for your other kids. Your quilt is darling. The headstone is also so nice. It is kinda sick that we have to pick out headstones and caskets for our CHILDREN! Hope you are doing well. Love, Nicole

jessi said...

Beautiful

jel-gar said...

Michelle -
The headstone is so beautiful. I'm glad you finally have something there that is permanent and won't blow away. And I love the quilt. What a sweet idea. What cherished memories to display. You are still in my prayers - that you can continue to have the strength to get through the difficult minutes, hours, days, moments. Thanks for being the strength you are in so many other's lives. Love, - Janelle

Sarah said...

I love that picture of Gavin, it is so cute! That is a beautiful headstone. How hard it must be to see his name in stone.

What a beautiful quilt! You are so talented! I love that idea of putting little bits of Gavin's shirt in the quilt, I think JJ and your future children will cherish that they each have a piece of their big brother.

janalee said...

Yeah- ugly because of the event that made it necessary, and beautiful because it remembers your beautiful son.

I think your quilt is cool- I have been wondering what I could do with the clothing I saved, and I like the idea of giving a piece of him to each of his siblings in a quilt. :)thanks

Ralae said...

Michelle,
The headstone looks beautiful. I'm sorry that we can't all be there with you. I'm glad you've got Jaron's family and Jessica. I love the quilt you made (you made it right?). I had no idea you could quilt! It's absolutly beautiful and amazing. It's great way for JJ to get to know his big brother.

Peggy said...

Gavin's headstone is beautiful. I like the rocks and sticks in the corner. Cute. I love the quilt idea, your other kids will love having a part of Gavin with them. Very sweet.

Amy said...

Oh Michelle!!! I'm so sorry for your loss. You don't know me...but a friend sent me your blog and the video you posted of the song "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee". The reason she sent it to me is because she thought it might bring me some comfort. On January 15th our baby girl was stillborn...I was 37 weeks along. I'm so sorry about your sweet baby Gavin. I know how immensely hard this time is. Congratulations on your new pregnancy. I hope it brings you more comfort. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.

Amy

Meredith said...

Gavin is so handsome- I love that picture of him. And the headstone is beautiful.

Lisa said...

I don't think you will ever get use to seeing Gavins name on that headstone. I know everytime I see Gabes headstone a knife goes through my heart.
I know your kids will love Gavin even if they don't have him directly in thier lives. I have a picture of Gabe at the head of my childrens bed. They love him.

janc@mac.com said...

It's a beautiful headstone. I love the picture of Christ with him. I love the quilts as well. You have savored so many precious memorabilia to keep him near to your hearts.

Crystal said...

I love the quilt! That was such a good idea to do for a quilt for you next son. I am glad that I was able to see and talk to you the other day. You are an inspiration to me.

The Lowder Family said...

I am so glad that you got Gavin's headstone in, I know for me,It has been so important for Brian and I to have somwhere to go to remember our son and thats that most peacefull place I can think of. I love the headstone, Its perfect in every way!! Are you coming to the remembrance walk in May?

Michelle Arnett said...

I have never seen that picture of him before! It's sooo handsome~!