I didn’t know that my body could throw up so much and still function
I didn’t know that it was possible to have a foot in between my lung and rib cage
I didn’t know that having a baby would be so taxing on my emotional, physical, mental being
I didn't know how cool it was to have my belly look like something out of "Aliens".
I didn’t know that love would develop and grow with time. I didn’t know that it was okay that I didn’t feel like I even knew this new baby in my arms. I didn’t know that love would grow as we came to know one another.
I didn’t know that I could function on that kind of lack of sleep. (Hell Week with the Navy Seals….piece of cake)
I didn’t know how often I would lose my patience
I didn’t know how hard it would be
I didn’t know that those pictures that depict mother and child in a loving embrace, were those rare special moments, not the norm.
I didn’t know that I would give part of my heart to one little boy and he would take it to Heaven with him.
I didn’t know what healing would come from holding another little life in my arms
I didn’t know that missing would never end
I didn’t know that a little smile, hearing the word mama, my first kiss (and subsequent ones after) could utterly melt my heart.
I didn’t know what a joy it could be to work so hard
I didn’t know how fun it was to just watch a 2 year old discover the world.
I didn’t know how fun it was to watch a 1 year old do his best to keep up with his brother.
I didn’t know that spitting was funny. But apparently it is, because my 2 year old and my 1 year old think it’s hilarious.
I didn’t know kids pooped THAT much.
I didn’t know what a fantastic experience it would be to sit with my boys snuggled up on either side to read them a book and sing a song.
I didn’t know that my body would never be my own.
I didn’t know that every time I used the bathroom it would be a public affair
I didn’t know I could worry so much.
I didn’t know that 2 little people could make such a mess.
I didn’t know that I would give up a full night sleep for….who knows how long. Haven’t reached the bottom of this one yet.
I didn’t know what a learning experience being a mom would be.
I didn’t know that I would be a human jungle gym, while cooking dinner.
I didn’t know how OCD I would be about safety and germs
I didn’t know I would fret so much about ruining them for life or being a terrible mother.
I didn’t know how much I could love.
I didn’t know how much I could break
I didn’t know how being a mother would stretch my soul. How it would challenge and reward me all in the same breath. I didn’t know that I didn’t know anything. I didn’t know what kind of person I was, until I eagerly accepted the challenge to be a mother. Now I know…I know that I would do anything required of me to keep my children safe. I know that I love them more than any possession or idea. I know that everything I do, I do hoping that this will shape my boys in to kind, generous, loving, strong, sincere men. (with a hope like that why wouldn’t I fret??). But mostly…… I know that I still don’t know anything. And that like my boys, this list is going to keep growing…….(probably monthly…scratch that, I mean daily!!)
6 comments:
What a sweet and special entry! I didn't know any of those things either! I keep having to remind myself to cherish every moment because it goes by so fast! Your boys are adorable and I imagine they keep you on your toes, I can't wait for another:)
You put it so perfectly! I feel the exact same way...only insert "girls" for "boys." :)
I hope you don't feel like I'm "blog stalking" you, but it's fun to keep up with your cute family even though I haven't seen you in like 4 years. I think of you guys every once in a while and always say a little prayer for you. Your courage and faith over the last 3 1/2 years amazes me. Thank you for your example!
Becca (from Sharon Park 9th Ward Primary)
What a great essay on being a mother. You have really captured the stretching that comes with change and love. I'm so glad when you write. I worry about you when there are long periods in between entries -- but it's not like I think you have nothing to do :)
I love this entry, so true.
This is so well written and expresses the rigors of the job so well.
Ditto! I loved reading this. Exactly my thoughts.
Post a Comment