Monday, August 9, 2010

Lazarus

I don't mean this post to offend, but to help others understand. Grief is hard. It hurts mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. There are not many things that can be said to a person whose heart literally feels like it is breaking. Mostly, it's a listening ear. A non-judgmental ear. No words,no testimonies, just listening. The story of Lazarus has become one of my favorites, because Christ sets such an example of mourning with those that mourn. Word comes to Christ that his friend is sick. He waits two days before he goes to his friend. This miracle was to be one that would glorify God. It was intentional. He was doing it for his disciples that they could SEE his power over death, and yet they did not quite get it. Martha comes out to greet Jesus, while Mary remains behind in the house, sitting. Martha comes to Christ and testifies to him of his glory. And he tells Martha "Thy Brother shall rise again". He gives comfort to one ready to hear, with his words, his promise of Life. Martha goes to Mary and tells her the Master calleth thee. Mary quickly came unto him. When Mary saw the Master she falls down at his feet and cries "Lord, if thou had been here my brother would not have died". I feel the hurt in her voice. The wishing that things had been different. What does Christ do in response? HE WEEPS. The Lord of all Creations, the Savior of the World, the Redeemer, the MASTER...weeps. Christ knew what he was going to do. He knew that in mere moments...not hours...not days...not a lifetime...moments, just moments, he would bring Lazarus back from the dead. He would reunite brother and sisters again. He would give joy to these women who missed their brother so dearly. He knew all of this and yet he weeps along side of Mary and Martha. To one sister he speaks of comfort, of resurrection. To the other sister, he says no words. None. No comfort to give to a woman who is lost in her suffering. The best and only thing to be done was to weep along side her. Christ knew how to succor both of these women.

Sometimes I am Martha, ready to hear words of comfort, a different picture seen by an outsider. Ready to have a heart touched by a sweet testimony of our Savior. Other times, I am Mary. My heart to broken, that earthly words can not take away my sorrow. And in those moments the best thing for my shattered heart is just validation. "I am so sorry that your heart breaks. It is understandable" "You have every right to miss your son". No testimonies, scriptures, or words of comfort. Just listening. Just hearing the hurt that pours from my heart when the way is dark with shadows and terrible memories. Weeping with those that weep. Mourning with those that Mourn. Not using words. Just as Christ comforts Mary, not with words, but tears. Tears of validation. He does not defend his position to Mary. Why he's done what he did. She'll see for herself. But she is not ready for words at that very moment.

Just because my way is dark right now, is no indication of where my testimony is. I am hurting. And that's okay. Weeping over the loss of my son, feeling the excruciating ache in my heart. It means I loved him deeply. These ugly feelings are a testimony of the LOVE that I have for my son. My little boy. A love that I would never trade, even if it means wandering in the darkness of grief for a time. The sun will shine again in my life. It's just not shining right now. And there are no words that will change that right now. Just hear my hurt.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Michelle:
This is one of the most amazing posts I've read...simply beautiful and so very true. You explained so well what we need as grieving moms. Thank you! I feel such a need sometimes to educate those that don't understand how hard this truly is. That yes there is comfort in knowing I will have my Wyatt again but there is an ache that will not go away until that day and it's beyond hard. Especially some days are worse than others. I think some people just think because we have the gospel we have no reason to mourn...they have no idea what it's like. You describe so completely how to mourn with those that mourn. Simply beautiful! I would love to copy and post on my blog with complete credit to you. Let me know if that is ok. I love to educate those that don't understand. I think you are amazing! Sending my love your way.

So sorry you have hit such a wave of grief...it's simply awful and heartwrenching. Know you are in my prayers and are thought of especially tomorrow. I can't believe it's been 2 years. I remember that day when I heard about your Gavin and how sick I felt in my stomach knowing what you were going to have to go through. It's so beyond hard. Oh, I feel your ache as I feel mine for Wyatt. I wish I could give you another moment with your sweet little guy. Oh wouldn't that be wonderful? Know that I will be praying extra hard for you tomorrow and hope you feel some added comfort. Such a hard, hard day. Hope you feel your sweet Gavin near. He loves his mommy soooo much! I wish I could give you a great big hug...sending you one through the web.
Much Love,
Andrea

janc@mac.com said...

I loved this blog, Michelle. It was so good and true. What you have described is exactly what I have tried to say to others about just needing to be heard and validated. It hits me more and more these days BUT I have something I am so excited to do: her temple work! On the other hand, I have been remembering things she once loved that I had forgotten until they happened again -- seeing the archery hill at Dworshak, remembering that she was with us the last time we were there. There comes an unexpected moment when this big wave of remembering hits and I have to turn away quickly to hide my tears. Then I get a grip and I can act normal but only one who feels that loss all the time knows what it's like. Thanks for the comfort this blog gave me.

kaye said...

Michelle my darling little girl.
I love you so much, I wish I could hold you, while we cry. I'm crying now thinking of him. I'm crying too for the pain you are in.
You said it so well, you know I don't like to write because it never comes out the way I want it to. But know my arms are open and wrapping around you as you read this. Love Mom

bugnose7 said...

We love you Michelle and Jaron.

Saratoga Six said...

I was thinking about you and praying for you that day also. Thank you for that beautiful story about the Savior with Lazarus. You give me so much understanding and add so much depth and love to my role as a mother. Thank you.

~plaid said...

I have thought these same things. I am sorry things are so rough, though. Can we get together for a trip to flour girls & dough boys or some other treat trip? I have pretty much stopped trying to express how it feels because there aren't many people like Jesus around who do understand AND have the capacity to respond appropriately. It makes me feel too vulnerable to express it, then feel the lack of response seeming to be a judgment that my thoughts are not valid or I am not worthy of a response. Easier to just let people forget and excuse their lack of concern for not knowing rather than not caring. I feel bad because I am one of the people who don't know the right ways to respond, and so hopefully you know that I can understand your feelings even though I can't know them fully, and have a lack in capacity to know how to respond even though I am sincere. It is VERY difficult having another child approach the same age another of your children was when he died. I see Jaron at Costco and ask how things are, but I would just love to get together and catch up sometime.

Crystal said...

I am so glad that you posted this. I often wonder what I can do to help others who are grieving. I wonder what to say because just saying "I am so sorry" never seems sufficient. Thank you for teaching me how to better understand those that are hurting what they actually NEED. I am truly sorry for your loss and cry with you.

Sarah said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. Think of you guys all the time, love you!

Sarah said...

Saw the lyrics to this song, don't know if you've seen them or heard the song, but I thought of you when I saw it on my friends blog. She also lost a baby in her sleep.

Borrowed Angels Lyrics

They Shine A Little Brighter, They Feel A Little More
they Touch Your Life In Ways No One Has Ever Done Before
they Love A Little Stronger, They Live To Give Their Best
they Make Our Lives So Blest, So Why Do They Go So Soon?
the Ones With Souls So Beautiful
I Heard Someone Say--


There Must Be Borrowed Angels, Here In This Life
they Come Along, Into This World, And Make This World Bright
but They Can't Stay Forever
cause They're Heaven Sent
and Sometimes, Heaven Needs Them Back Again

they Reach A Little Deeper, They See What's In Your Soul
and Even When They Leave You Know, You'll Never Let Them Go
the World's A Little Richer, Just Cause They Came Along
their Love Goes On And On, So Why Do They Go So Soon?
the Ones With Souls So Beautiful. I Heard Someone Say--

there Must Be Borrowed Angels, Here In This Life
they Come Along, Into This World, And Make This World Bright
they Can't Stay Forever, Cause They're Heaven Sent
and Sometimes, Heaven Needs Them Back Again

how Else Can You Explain Why They're Here And Not Here To Stay?
I Believe There Must Be, Must Be

borrowed Angels, Here In This Life
they Come Along, Into This World, And Make This World Bright
but They Can't Stay Forever, Cause There Heaven Sent
and Sometimes Heaven Needs Them Back Again.
and Sometimes Heaven Needs Them Back Again


Kristin Chenoweth
Borrowed Angels lyrics

Songwriters: Warren, Diane Eve

Lisa said...

This really is an amazing post. It is so hard to express my feelings and then I read your blog and wish I could just copy and post it on my own blog (and change then names).
I also loved your last entry. Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong with my mind when I lay Ila down at night and worry all night about her or picture the little pink casket that sat next to the blue one I chose out for Gabe.

What Karen Sees said...

Dear Michelle,
Know that my love for you and Jaron and Gavin and Sawyer and baby brother is eternal. The song lyrics "lean on me" is at times the best I can do, although I would do anything if it were possible to heal your heart. Love, Mom Larsen

Lisa said...

Michelle, I've been reading your blog for awhile now. To be honest, I can't even remember how I stumbled on here. This was a beautiful post. I faced the possibility of being in your shoes and the deep scars of just the possibility alone is enough to haunt me for life. I want you to know that there are many times that my heart breaks for you after reading about your pain on your blog. I could never say I know what you're going through, but I have some similar feelings to those you mention in this post while raising my daughter. In my own journey, I feel the need for people to just listen when I reach a point of exhaustion most wouldn't understand. People give lots of advice to me, I know they mean well, but it's not what I need. I just need someone to tell me it's ok to say it's hard, to fall apart, to recognize that my venting is no indication of where my testimony is or how I feel about my daughter.

I think of angel mommies often. It helps me keep going on the hardest of days. I get confused a lot and don't understand why so many families don't get the positive outcome that we did. I feel guilt at times, guilt that I was able to escape but the angel mommies I read about were not. Deep down and with an eternal perspective, it's easier to see that plans were different for us. On the surface though I don't understand and can't help asking why-it's not fair that I was spared from the pain you feel when so many aren't.

I know it's kind of strange that I'm talking to you like I know you, but I can't help it. After the last 6 years, I relate to and understand complete strangers better than family. Funny how that works out.

Lisa