Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Turth in unlikly places

Sometimes truth comes to us in ways that we do not expect, or would normally write off. But it does come. Truth, like light, can not be hid. There are three experiences I want to share about truth, and the surprising places the can come from. This post is more for me then anything else. I want to remember this insight I had, when I have those moments that are, oh so hard.

1. A children story. Yes, eternal truth can be found in the simplest of places. (Thank you, Nicole-Mia's Mom). I read this on a fellow Angel Mom's blog.

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.” Christopher Robin to Pooh

I know the truth is, Gavin would say this to me if he could, and maybe, just maybe, I went to Nicole's blog so that Gavin could pass that on to me.

2. Movies. I know you are all thinking "MOVIES?!?!" Yes, movies. Second Hand Lions is a movie every person should see. (over and over again) Cute movie, funny, but it too has eternal truths. It's about a boy who goes to spend the summer with his crotchety old uncles. The crotchet-yest Uncle of all says this to Walt (the boy)...

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this... that love... true love never dies! Remember that boy, remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in. Got that?"


True...Love never dies! Sometimes we have to weigh the options that we have, choose what we will believe and then hold on for dear life. Because those ARE the things WORTH believing in. I will see my son again! There is a God in Heaven. This wasn't bad luck, this was the plan. I choose to believe in those things, because it is the only way I can survive. I am so grateful for wisdom that continues to come to the Earth, through a living, loving prophet. When we mourn is not with out hope. There is life after this one.

3. Family and Friends speak truth. Misery loves company. I don't know why, but it does. My husbands family recieved terrible news tonight. One of his cousins died.(Aunt Jan my heart breaks for you!). I'm sure my mother-in-law wondered why I had such an intense reaction to finding out about this death. I cried, and then bawled after my mother-in-law left. I just kept thinking about my Gavin, and finding him, it was too much. So I called my sister to share my misery. (Thus it loves company.) But this time it was the right thing to do. She never met Becky, but she understood why it was such a hard loss for me. It brought me back to Gavin, and the fear I felt of losing Sawyer. And then my Sister spoke truth. She basically said, " When you feel that fear, know that it is the Adversary. He is giving you those thoughts. Know that we will have Gavin back again, but when we do it will be with out failure. When we die, we will see how JUST Heavenly Father really is. We will look back and see, that yes, we missed Gavin in this mortality, but Gavin was able to bless our lives more on the other side, then he could have here with us. We may not feel his presence always, or as often as we like, but he is here. Going before us, helping us along the way. " She bore her testimony to me about what she knows. I wish I could remember all the wording and the wonderful truths that she shared. (That's why you need to have a "What I would tell Michelle" blog, Jess!). But the feeling I felt was peace and assurance. My Gavin is still near. Watching over his Mommy, Daddy, and little brother. Hoping and praying for our success, because his is guaranteed.
Gavin's Little Brother
Sawyer with Gavin's dancing buddy. Sawyer's going to watch over for now.

12 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

What great truths to remember and share. My heart breaks for the Clayton family also.
By the way, what a cutie Sawyer is!

Diana said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband's cousin; death never seems to get easier. You are an amazing person. I don't know if you remember me, but we met once at an angel get together. Your testimony shines from you! I'm sure you don't always feel strong, but know that you are an example to me!
Diana-Caydin's mom

Meredith said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing.

plaidspolitics said...

I'm glad you're getting insights to help you through. One of the best sources for Truth for me is straight from the scriptures. Even before I'd miscarried, let alone buried a child, I was fond of the words in 1 Cor 13. And especially vs. 12: "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." That is a lot like what your sister told you, isn't it?

One of the blessings I was given by a complete stranger at the hospital when Bridget was dying gave me the reminder that the scriptures would be a good place for me to turn. I believe this is true for EVERYONE. It is just a wonderful place to be taught spiritual things, eternal truths.

I think of you often. It is good to see another update.

Ralae said...

Tell your Aunt Jan that I am terribly sorry for her loss. My heart goes out to her, and to all of Jaron's family.

On a good note, I am excited to see you next week. It's too bad Jess won't be able to come too.

The Holland Family said...

Awesome post Michelle! I so agree with you. Isn't it funny how things come to play out? I think of President Uchdorf's words during conference... If we think of the greatest love we have for someone, we times that by 100, and that is the love our Heavenly Father has for us. Isn't that amazing?

We were at dinner the other night and our sweet mortician who took care of Mia was there. He came up to me and asked "How is Mia, have you had any visits from her lately or is she busy?" I was so touched by his thoughts of my sweet baby 6 years later. I just thought it interesting that he truly believes that she visits me. Anyway just thouught I'd share that with you. Love Ya - Nicole, Mia's mom ^i^

janc@mac.com said...

Thanks again, Michelle.

Crystal said...

It's funny the places you find God speaking to you if you are just willing to open your eyes and look.

Lisa said...

I think that is something we all can think about. I have been humbled at how our family has united during these struggles. We love you guys!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful post! I loved every single word. Very insightful.

Saratoga Six said...

What beautiful truths. Thank you so much for helping us through this time.

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this Michelle. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Love ya!