I don't know if it was the recent snow storm or the cold moving in finally, but I've been missing Gavin. (like that ever stops, but it's more then usual. Whatever usual means.) I would put pictures on here of him but our computer is not working so you'll just have to live with my memories. The things I'm missing today
1. Those super wet, open mouth kisses with a "lah" at the end. (Can't forget the noise can we Gavin?). One of my favorite memories, probably the one I treasure most, Was when I went garage saleing with Amiee. Jaron watched Gavin. I think it was the first time I had left him, awake and knowing I was gone. When I got home, I peaked my head in the door. Jaron said "Gavin look whose here." and I started to sing-song say "Gavin" quietly. Gavin looked at me and speed crawled over to me, I picked him up and he snuggled into my neck for 5 seconds then popped his head up and kissed me!!! It was the first time he ever gave me a kiss with out me asking. It was all on his own. My heart melted. I knew I had done the right thing, to chose to stay home with Gavin, to not work, to just be his MOM.
2. The way he would imitate me. One day my throat itched so I was clearing it. Gavin's back was to me. When I cleared my throat, he stopped what he was doing and and looked towards the door. I did it again, and he started running to me looking over his shoulder at the door. I did it again and he looked at me, really confused, his expression said "I thought there was a monster coming, but it's my mom!! My mom is the monster". I did it one more time and laughed to show him it was alright. Then he broke into his mischievous "oh i get it" grins and started making the same noise. From then on, randomly, if he felt like we hadn't laughed enough today, he would make that noise and smile and laugh. And wait for me to join him. That was an automatic joke in his book.
3.The way he would try to help out. Vacuuming and sweeping started to take me 4X as long. Gavin always wanted to help. When ever I would do either, he would come over and put his hand on the handle and help push it. It would only go about 6 inches, so those 6 inches of floor would be super clean. I'd have to nudge him off and clean the next 3 feet in a hurry before he ran back over and put his hand on it to help. He was such a sweet boy.
4.The way he acted all grown up/comedian. I had started to read scriptures and pray with Gavin before bed time. I don't know why but he thought praying was hilarious. He actually laughed the first couple times I would fold his arms and pray. Then he stopped laughing, so I would peek my eye open to see what he was doing, and he's be looking at me with the biggest grin on his face. The day before he went home, we were in the Kitchen and I looked over at him and he was walking around with his arms folded, very slowly. Smiling as big as his cheeks would let him. I don't know why that was so funny in his book, but in mine, it's a treasured memory.
5. How he would sign. It was so much fun to teach him sign language. To see his expression change and he watched me sign a word, and him look at his hands to see how he could make them work like that. Then how his face would light up when he figured it out. And look at me like "look, MOM, i did it! I figured it out!!!" Oh how I love that. It was so awsome to have a peak into what he was thinking. HE loved DOGS!!!! How fun to see him get so excited when he saw one and start frantically signing and saying "Dah" . It took Gavin 6 mo to sign back at me. I was getting so frustrated with it, about ready to give up. But I stuck it out, and I am so glad I did. Each of his signs is a jewel in my mind. Another thing to miss so deeply. Those sweet little, chubby hands doing their best to communicate.
How do you love some one so much? The Lord must know what he's doing. That's the only thing i can think of. Because when you love someone so much, the hurt goes just as deep (maybe deeper). I really just miss him today. I feel like a little child. I want to ask Heavenly Father "ARE WE THERE YET?!?!?" in that annoying exasperated way children do. Is eternity almost here? Because it sure seems like it's taking awhile.
13 comments:
What beautiful little stories. :) You know that you really love someone when thinking of them makes you smile and ache inside at the same time.
Thanks for sharing your memories!
Michelle, I wish I was with you and we could cry together. That was a beautiful post. I could totally picture Gavin the whole time. I miss him, too. I'm glad you wrote down those memories. Please share more with me when you get the chance. I don't ever want to forget his cute Gavin ways. We'll have to do some memory reminiscing at Christmas time. I'm excited to see you all. Love, Ralae
Thanks for your memories. They made me smile and tear up all at once.
I know. I know. Sometimes that is all we need to hear. That we are not alone and someone else knows. Thinking of you.
Beautiful memories- thank you for sharing them ;)
I've been thinking about him more lately. He is such a sweetheart.
Michelle -
Thank you for sharing those beautiful memories. My eyes were wet but reading them made my heart smile. You're faith and you're strength are a blessing to all who know you. I hope that this holiday season is wonderful for you and Jaron and that you can actually enjoy some food and keep it down :) - Janelle
Thank you for sharing your memories. I didn't know Gavin very well and I am so glad that I can learn more about him through you.
How is your angel tree coming?? I want to see it!
Can you come to our desert night on Tuesday? I will bring you a gag bag!!
Who couldn't fall in love with such an adorable little boy. He is such a character! You are such an amazing mother. I love your patience with the cleaning thing. And your persistence with the signing. I love how Pres. Monson says the Lord gives us memories so we can have June roses in the December of our lives. How true is that! These memories are so sweet. Thank you for sharing them. I'd love to hear more.
The greater the joy the deeper the sorrow. That aching in your heart is just a manifestation of the great love you shared with Gavin. There is no greater love than that of a mother for her child. It is this love that teaches how our heavenly parents feel about us. You have experienced true charity. What a blessed mother. Love you Sherrie
Treasuring the moments in life is so important. Adam visited his best friend who has a 2 month old baby. He held the baby for a long time and then asked who wanted him. Both parents said, "just put him in his swing." Adam couldn't believe they didn't want to hold him. I reminded him that we long for the simple things that we don't have. I have noticed that I have found more joy then ever in my other children.
Post a Comment