Wednesday, August 13, 2008
OUR LOSS
Sunday night we lost our beautiful baby boy at 8:45 p.m. All day on Sunday he was really cuddly. He has started to run a 102* fever, but he didn't act that much out of the ordinary. He was playing with Jaron and having fun with us. But if he bumped his head or if he tripped then he would cry more than usual and need lots of luvs. I gave him Tylenol and called the doctor. He told me to give him Tylenol and motrin every three hours alternating between them. I did that around 1 pm. At 7 pm as I was getting him ready for bed, I was nursing him and took his temperature again and it was 102.1* and he started to shiver. So I called the Doctor again. He told me that it was not a significant change and that shivering was normal once your temperature was over 100*, and not to worry. So I nursed my sweet baby until he fell asleep and I laid him down for bed. 25 minutes later, just 25 minutes later I came back to give him his next dose of medicine and when I turned him over his lips were blue. I yelled for Jaron to call 911 and I started CPR on him. A neighbor came shortly after to help. And an eternity later the ambulance arrived. A man came and scooped my baby up and ran away with him. I chased after him but he was faster then me and the ambulance was leaving by the time a got to the front door. Jaron and I jumped in the car and took off for the ER, It has never taken so long for us to get somewhere in my life. Another eternity later we got to the ER, I ran in to the window and told the woman that my baby had come in not breathing, and I heard somebody gasp behind me, and I was angry at them. A woman took Jaron and I back to the room where they were working on Gavin, and they let us watch. There were 10 people standing around him trying to bring him back, but I couldn't watch after awhile. My heart was breaking too much and too fast. So I left the room. 5 minutes later the Doctor came in and told me that my son was dead. That they had tried everything they could and that it had been an hour and there was nothing more they could do. My heart broke. They took me back to see him and they let me hold him, and there were tubes coming out or his mouth. I asked the nurse to take them out, but she said she couldn't, that the medical examiner had to see him before that could happen. But she cut them short for me. His lips were so blue. She told me that it was an honor to work on my son. And then they moved us to another more private room. And then they let me hold him until the medical examiner came and took him away from me. He was so cold when I handed him over. Holding him brought me no peace beacuse it wasn't him anymore. I knew when Jaron and I were going to the hospital, I told Jaron, that I could already feel that he was gone. When I walked in Gavin's room and started CPR I could feel that he was already gone. That he'd been gone for awhile before I even got there. And I was just gone for 25 min. A woman came to our room later while I was holding him and she took molds of his hands and feet. She cried a lot. And I was greatful for her. The policeman that was the first person there before the ambulance came, he waited in the emergency room the whole time. And when the medical examiner came to take my baby away, the policeman came in and he cried with us and he said sorry. And then they took my baby away. There was so much grief and numbness that followed. I felt so abandoned by my Heavenly Father, in my GREATEST time of need. But on Tuesday morning my family came. And my sister told me a story of a conversation that she and my brother had had, and it broke through my grief for a moment and I felt a measure of peace. My sweet baby boy was too PERFECT for this world. And he will return to me and he will be mine again when this troubled world is redeemed again by the PRINCE OF PEACE!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
27 comments:
We are so sad and shocked to hear about Gavin. He was such a loveable and happy baby. He could just make a room light up with his big smile. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. You are right, he was definitly too perfect for this world. I'm so glad we have the gospel in our lives, even though we may not know all the answers to why. Heavenly Father must have a special purpose for him. If there is anything you need, please let us know!
Michelle, I am so sorry for your loss! Laura told me the news Sunday night and was just hysterical. I am so sad for you and can't imagine what you are going through. I just want to let you know that you are loved and I know that so many people are keeping you in their prayers right now- Jeff and I sure are. I wish that there was something that I could do.....I think of you often.
Sorry if my commenting on your blog is creepy. I am Elena Alland's niece, Jackie. She called and told me what happened and gave me your blog address. I just read the post and my tears will not stop rolling. I have no idea what your family is going through right now and I won't pretend I do. I just want to say I am SO sorry! I know that doesn't help. The minute I heard about your sweet son I too thought, 'Wow, they were chosen to guide a perfect spirit-if only for a short time now. I know you will hold him again.' I'm so sorry, you are in our prayers.
you don't know me but i grew up with your friend Laura Shelley. I am so sorry for your loss . I have a cousin who lost a child at 4 months and as a mother of two that would be heartbreaking , however thank goodness we have the gospel . Please know that your story of heartbreak has made me promise to love my children more each day and not let the little things get in the way . my prayers are with you and your family .
and you are right you will see and have your baby again . I know in the Joseph smith book for RS there is a whole section on just that mothers being with there babies who have died . Again im so sorry for your loss and hope that you will get peace soon
I don't even know you, but word spreads fast in the blog world. Please know that my family will pray for you! Your son was and is beautiful!
Please let me know what I can do to help. I love you and am praying for you! Love Jessi
We are so touched and impressed by your strength and testimony. We think about you constantly and have you in our prayers. Coleman and Tanner even remember to pray for you to feel comforted by the Holy Spirit. We also know that Gavin will always be part of your family and that he has gone to a much better place. He is free from the evils and worries of this world. We look forward to the day when you will be reunited--thanks to the sacrifice of our Savior. We care about you both and are always willing to help however we can.
With Love,
Wes, Krista, Coleman, and Tanner
We have never met, I am Elena's sister-in-law. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss, my heart is breaking for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. What a blessing to have the gospel in our lives and to know we can be together again.
hi. My name is Stephanie Waite. I know the pain you are in. I lost my daughter 2 months ago today. You can read my story at www.adailyscoop.blogspot.com.
I am starting a private blog for those of us who have lost children to come to and support each other. Each person I invite will be invited as an author. I hope we can come post when we have a hard day and get the support from those who KNOW.
Please email me if you want to join us and I will invite you to be an author.
Love and prayers to you,
stephanie
stephaniewaite@gmail.com
Michelle and Jaron, I heard about what happened through my friend Jessi. I have been looking at pictures of your beautiful little boy, and crying. I am so sorry for your loss. I too have small boys and don't think anything anyone could say would help with the pain of loosing one of them. I want you to know that my husband and I will be keeping your family in our prayers as you face this tremendous trial. I believe you are right. Gavin was just too perfect for this troubled world!!
Dear Larson Family,
I am so so sorry. I am crying for you. We lost our little Lucy on May 22nd of this year, just about nine weeks ago. She choked on an apple at church and we couldn't get it out. Oh how I wish I could take this away from you. All I can do is tell you that I love you and Heavenly Father loves you and you WILL see him again. We will. We just will. We just have to take it one day at a time. We will make it.
“We have again the warning voice sounded in our midst, which shows the uncertainty of human life; and in my leisure moments I have meditated upon the subject, and asked the question, why it is that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us, especially those that seem to be the most intelligent and interesting. The strongest reasons that present themselves to my mind are these: This world is a very wicked world; and it … grows more wicked and corrupt. … The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again. …Joseph Smith
Michelle and Jaron-
Please know we love you both and are here for you. What a blessing it is to have the gospel in our lives to know that one day if we are worthy we can again be together as a family, and that when the ressurection comes you Michelle will get the chance to raise Gavin from age 14months to a man. What an awesome blessing. I hope to live worthily to be able to see this come to fruition. Again we love you both and are here for you.
Larsen Family
You don't me either, but through blogging friends, and I knew Jessi when we were kids, I heard about your story. I just wanted to say even though I am a stranger to you, you and your family have been in my prayers. My nephew was killed in a tragic accident just before he was to turn 2, and my Sister-in-law has always felt comfort in the thought that she will be able to raise him someday. We like to think of him as being one of the children surrounding Christ in the many Christ pictures. I pray someday you can look back and feel as though Christ has carried you through this difficult time.
With sincere prayers,
Suzie Bean
Michelle,
I love you guys! You're always in our prayers. We'll keep in close contact, but call if you need anything anyway! When you get a moment, check out my blog. I put some Gavin pictures on there from my camera and I don't know if you've ever even seen them. I love you--my sister! Love, Ralae
I was so moved by your sister-in-law Ralae's talk at church about your family. We pray for you and are so great-ful to the peace that the gospel brings.
God bless you.
Oh Michelle-
I can't stop crying. I can't even imagine the pain you are feeling. You are a much stronger person then I could ever be. I really do not know what else to say. I hope Heavenly Father continues to give you the peace that you need.
If you need anything, let me know!
Sasha
I am so very sorry for your loss. I will be praying for your family.
i am so terribly sorry and sad for you. i dont know what to say. i dont know you - but i wish i could hug you.
Michelle,
I found your blog from angel children. I read your post and have been crying thinking about you and your husband. Is Gavin your first? We lost our daughter, our first child, shortly after her birth and I know how heartbreaking it is to go from having a sweet baby in your home to having an empty home. Please know I am thinking of you. Your story really touched me. I hope you will find peace along the long road ahead. Please let me know if you would like to talk. Hang in there.
you have been in my thoughts daily!!! i am so sorry for you loss.
Renee
Michelle-
I just got an email from my family about your loss. My heart is breaking for you - it seems like just yesterday we were hanging out in Provo with you as a little freshman and me showing you around. And now you've totally surpassed me in experience, wisdom and serenity as you've had to go through this. I can't imagine and I've got a lump in my throat each time I think of you and your beautiful baby. Please know that I'm thinking and praying for you and your husband. If we ever get out to Utah again we'd love to see you guys- Love, Lynnie (Donovan) Genho genhos@gmail.com
Michelle and Jaron,
We have met you a few times before through Kevin and Jessi... and Tyler went hunting with Jaron. I have felt so sad for you since we found out what happened. It has had such a profound effect on me and I can't even imagine how difficult it has been for you. My heart just aches. I just want you to know that you have been in my daily personal prayers ever since I found out.
Love,
Holly and Tyler King
Thanks Michelle- I think it will be a boy as well. :) I just wanted to tell you that you and Jaron inspire me so much- the funeral was just so positive and peaceful and I know that you can get through anything. I'm still thinking about you- please let me know if you need anything!
I am Melissa Bell's friend and she told me what happened. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am. My mom also lost a baby and was told later by a patriarch that her little girl was just too perfect for this life.. that she didn't need to go through this test and could return to her Heavenly Father. I feel very strongly that this is the case with your little Gavin. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and you are in our prayers.
I am so so sorry. I saw that you popped in on my blog, so I wanted to pop in on you and get to know your little guy better. I am so sorry. What a beautiful boy. It's just not fair we have to experience this. You are strong. Hang in there. Keep breathing. You will find joy, love and peace. Much love,
James' Momma
Michelle,
I am so so sorry to hear about your son. I can't say I know how it feels, but I can imagine and it breaks my heart...
Erin
I just came across your blog. Your story brings tears to my eyes and pain to my heart. I will pray for you and yours as you move to a new point in your life with your lovely Gavin's memory and spirit always with you. Bless you and yours with greatness. God bless you.
Post a Comment